Wednesday

The Work Behind the Scenes

The Work Behind the Scenes....

People often take the work of artists for granted and sometimes think our work is always just a bunch of "fun and games".  It's certainly true that many times creating art is certainly "fun".  As the American in Paris artist, no denying that that here...  However, for me rest assured that creating art is not a game.  Believe me, the work of most artists does not come into the world without much struggle and effort.  Many people even look at my entire life's work and don't ever realize all the work that goes on "behind the scenes" in my life trying to inspire others.  So I thought I'd take the time to write about this topic.

As an artist, I've put my time in and have also been around the block.  Like most people, sure, I've been knocked down a few times, but I always manage to get back up on the horse of being a creative artist because "Inspiration" is who I am and what I stand for!  Artists are rare breeds with inherit stamina, courage, and a vision that compel us to pursue the type of work we do. Often we have to work in many art forms, not just drawing and painting to convey our message and our vision.  At times I've had to wear many hats as an artist.  In fact, often I'm having to spend my creative energy as lifelong learner constantly challenging myself to learn new skills or "brush up" on old ones (no pun intended).

The world of art is an ever expanding and fascinating field!  So naturally I am always finding myself having to switch gears.  Often I'm having to drop the paint brush to write, learn new topics such as the art of typography, learn graphic art & design, use the art of film and photography, dive into documentary making, and even find myself literally dancing and performing as an artist in the great "dance of life". Yet, despite all the time, energy, and hard work and life commitment of most artists, many continue to have the misconception that the work of the artist is not considered "work" at all.

Trust me, the work of artists like myself goes far beyond working any 9 to 5 job. And I've had my share... In fact, many artists like myself  have managed to stay committed to our work in the arts even while working fulltime holding professional 9-5 jobs and following multiple careers.  In my case, for example, not only have I worked in the arts as a teacher, manager, life coach, mentor, and a consultant.  I even left my career as an executive.  But that story is for another day...

Fortunately, I've paid my dues and now have earned the privilege of working as an artist fulltime.  I've also studied and have learned the lessons of many great artists who came before me.  In fact, that's one of the reasons I definitely won't ever let myself be taken advantage of when it comes to my life's work as an artist...  So the next time you see the work of an artist, even someone you may consider a crazy artist like myself, I do hope you also take time to appreciate "the work" that goes on behind the scenes.  Even now, I know I still have so much to learn.  Rather than crying about it, instead I've come to accept that learning can be fun!  Besides, even though my work as an artist seems unachievable at times, learning also keeps me feeling young, motivated, happy and excited.

Nonetheless, I've decided to share a side of me you don't often see in my work.  I chose this photograph as an example because it shows me working "behind the scenes" setting up on the beach for one of my photoshoots at the early break of day.  It was still dark when my photographer and I drove for over an hour in the dark to make sure we were at the beach by the break of day to capture the early morning light  needed in creating art in hopes of inspiring others with a day of genuine hard work using the medium of art photography.  That's called having "drive" and "commitment" needed in pursuing "a vision".  Contrary to popular belief, most artists have great passion and commitment and actually work very hard and make many sacrifices in their lives as artists day and night beyond any 9-5 job to spend their lives trying to inspire others with their "work" as committed artists.  So the next time you start to judge, criticize, or even admire an artist and their work, I do hope that's also something you can learn to appreciate.  Just something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.