Friday

Over 20 Years!

The Expressive Ballerina

I started this little painting of a ballerina over 20 years ago.  So I have had it for as long as I can remember.  So recently I resolved to spend time doing my final "touch ups" because there was something about this little ballerina that I loved and wanted to finally frame.  If this little ballerina had been my daughter, she would now be married with her own daughters taking ballerina classes...  Anyway, I now find it actually very amusing that it is such a small work of art and yet still I'm ashamed to admit that it took me over 20 years to finally complete.  What can I say?  "C'est la vie!'  That's the life of an artist...  One of the reasons I hadn't completed it before was because hated admitting to myself that I actually admired how truly loving, "childlike" and expressive and beautiful she already was just "as is".  So I loved having it on display just for myself all these years to enjoy for my own guilty pleasure.  Another reason it took so many years to finally accept that I am never going to be "realist" artist and finally just learn to love and embrace my own unique style of art, even if I'm never going to be perfect in the eyes of others.  I'm sharing my own story with all of you because I think there's a valuable lesson in this for all of us...  And just in case you aren't understanding my message as an artist, let me just state it more clearly for you: "Love yourself"!  As many of you know, one of the goals as an artist is always to use art as means of inspiring all of you around the world.  So, as always, before I sign off my dear friends, I hope my taking the time to write this message has at least in my own small way been useful and as meaningful to you as it is to me....   So no matter where you are in the world, until next time, I send you all my love!  :)